Friday, June 26, 2009

Writing Exercise: The Sensitive

I am not particularly proud of this peice... but if I sorted through my peices and only showed you the good ones I would feel a little cheap. This Exercise is about using an object to try to define a develop a character. You describe the object instead of describing the person, but you accomplish the same thing, but it is much more stylish. Unfortunately my attempt looks sloppy at best, but I stand behind the exercise becuase I think it holds value in helping one learn to develop characters more creatively.

My browser isn't letting me put this in italics... so you will have to pretend... If you don't have the imigination to do that, you have no business reading a blog that is going to spend a lot of time talking about writing...

Start italics...

On the wall behind Randolf Grey's desk, mounted on cardstock, and set into a simple black frame was a cheque. It was the first Cheque Randolf Grey had ever for more than a five thousand dollars. The papaer was browned with age, the penmarks were fading and it had various bank stamps printed on it. Randolf remembered very well writing that cheque. He had come from a poor family, and Grey looked at that cheque demonstated who he had become: a magestic creature that had risen out of the ashes of poverty.

Randolf had made sure he recieved the cheque back after the bank had cleared it. It meant more than just money to him, it reminded him that in a long line of failures he alone had been a success. Whenever Grey was feeling discouraged he took a few minutes to look at the cheque on his office wall, to remember how he had to work to get where he was now. The cheque was for a local hospital in his home town, and was his way of giving a little back.

End italics...

I spent more time talking about grey, and strayed a little from the point of the exercise. I think I should have chosen a better object, but I was also on a time crunch. It isn't a great piece, but I am able to see ways to improve my writing as I read it.

The next piece I am going to post will be much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment