Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A weekly peak into my writing journal...

I decided that if I am going to keep this blog going I need to have something interesting for my readers to read. So I have decided that every wednesday I give you a peak into my journal. I will share a writing exercise, or excerpt from a story I may be working on. This week I will share the first writing exercise I did while in my creative writing class.

The way this Writing Exercise works is you randomaly select 10 words. You can ask other people, or pick them off pages of a book, however you want. You should have 7 nouns, and 3 verbs. In my class the prof took suggestions from the class and wrote them on the board. The 10 words were:

Abyss
Pencil
Sky Diving
Enveloped
Borrow
Cheese
Banana
Cocker Spaniel
Paris
and ....
Well I am not sure what the last word was becuase I either forgot to underline it in my peice, or didn't use it. (oops) You don't need to use the words in order, anything is fine. Here is my story.


I dropped my pencil over my list of potential vacation spots. The first was a dream of mine, Sky diving. I had always planned on going but the mindless abyss I had trudged through in life had, so far, kept me from it. I had not yet experienced being enveloped by nothing but the air around me. The next was an idea borrowed from many others: Paris, a trip I had always longed to do.

Before I had time to contemplate my list any further my dog, a cocker spaniel, crashed through the kitchen, jumping over the trash can. it's contents spilled over onto the floor; some old cheese, and a banana peel.

Sighing quietly to myself, I went to clean the mess, crumpling my list and adding it to the garbage as I did so.


Not a great peice of work, very unpolished, but that is kind of the purpose of the exercise; to try and piece a story together from very few, and unconnected words. It's a great exercise to try if you find yourself stuck with writers block.

Well I can't think of anything else I want to write right now, so I guess that is it. Feel free to let me know what you thought of the exercise or story, or to post your own.

1 comment:

  1. My friend checked for me, the tenth word was jump. I did use it, I just forgot to underline in my notebook.

    ReplyDelete